Cancer doesn’t stop in times of the corona virus. We provide an essential service and are open to care for you during this time. As we move from stage 5 to stage 4 of the lock down period in South Africa and some people are returning to work, the measures we have put in place remain the same.
We are situated outside of a hospital environment and do not attend to patients with general or respiratory complaints, which minimises any risk of COVID-19 contact. We provide confirmation of appointments to all patients to ensure free travel to our practice.
In these tough financial times, we wish to contribute in the best possible way we can towards essential screening. The easing of regulations means that many who have not been to see us for essential appointments can now do so. Therefore, in solidarity with our patients, we offer a R500-00 discount for mammography performed before 31 August 2020.
We are continuing to safeguard delivery of our essential care and the comprehensive strategy developed at Level 5 to protect you and our staff from potential infection, will continue at Level 4.
Below are some of the extensive range of measures we will continue to take to minimise risk:
- Only patients are allowed into the practice; accompanying persons will not be allowed into the practice. We encourage participation of significant others in important consultations by remote communication such as video telephony.
- We ask patients who are feeling unwell to rather reschedule their appointments.
- At our reception entrance there is an alcohol-based hand sanitiser for you to use.
- We have removed all reading material in the waiting area – please bring your tablet/phone.
- Likewise, our coffee/tea station is closed.
- We have reduced the capacity of the waiting room, increased the distance between chairs and reduced the number of patients to maintain distances.
- All contact surfaces such as door handles and restrooms in the practice are disinfected frequently; and our mammography/ultrasound equipment is disinfected after every patient.
To our Windhoek patients, please not that under the rules of Lock down stage 4, travel is still barred and Dr Apffelstaedt has had to cancel his May 2020 Windhoek dates. Should the restriction be lifted, Dr Apffelstaedt’s next available dates will be listed on the website.